Friday, February 20, 2015

Pencils and Passages

Yay animation books!
Hey everyone! Remember when I said I'd hit the library last post? Well, I sure did, and found these two delicious reads. I've started reading Animation: From Script to Screen, and I've actually been really into it, which is cool. (You know how you're always afraid whether a book is going to hook you, no matter how many books you've read and been hooked by? Yes? No? Maybe? What? It's just me? Oh. Okay.)

I also got back answers for my interview questions from Rob Porter, head of story at DreamWorks, and his answers were so thorough and so nice. I cannot thank these professionals enough for taking the time to impart their knowledge and experience.

This week I've also started clearing my desk (table?) to make a proper workspace. So here's a "before" picture, and hopefully soon enough we'll have an "after".

I've actually never watched Perks of Being a Wallflower and I'm not sure why I have the poster...
Messy, right? Don't worry. I'll fix it. Soon we can all put looking at this horrendous sight behind us.
(Side note, the reason I have so many things on the wall is because when I don't know what to do with something oftentimes I have the habit of just grabbing some tape and sticking it up there.)

And this week I started making some drawings to get a feel for my concepts!


Needless to say, the dude's frustrated.

Like... really frustrated. And it's kinda funny. 

Other people's pain ha humor LET'S MOVE ONto international traveling cat: 


So the international traveling cat idea turned into more of an international cats type of thing, heavily playing off of stereotypes associated with the countries. Which was, let me tell you, super fun to draw. But I should probably tone it down with the stereotypes.

I'm still working on the other concepts, and even furthering these, but any suggestions are welcome, as always!

In the meantime, a few really shwankin' videos (at least, I think they are):

Here's one by Blu, an artist who does amazing work using stop motion and mainly graffiti/painting on walls. WARNING: his work often features body horror (this one not as much... but just in case you were gonna check out his other work), and this one deals with some violent themes like the world exploding and people being shot, especially at the end (it's not scary or anything, it just might be a teeny bit disturbing at times):


Here's another cool and cute one that combines stop motion with drawings: 


Another stop motion, with office supplies: 


A cute short that just really makes me happy: 


A cute one by Glen Keane:


This is a cool thing about pitching scenes at Pixar (a bit on the longer side):


A video that I'm fond of about Edgar Wright and visual comedy in filmmaking (and in general, really):

Things that get me excited: 


A cute lil French animation: 


Now, I could go on, for a really long time, but I should probably save some shorts for future posts.  

Merci for reading/watching and I hope you're having a good day!

10 comments:

  1. I love the videos, Daria! I've come to learn that you can learn a lot about a particular artist's style by exploring that artist's inspiration. I particularly enjoyed the Aug(de)mented Reality one. So cute!
    I was also really impressed by your idea sketches! Do you know how long your own animation might end up being? I would assume even a short 3 minutes takes a lot of preparation and effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm glad you enjoyed them! And I'll be sharing more with each post, though maybe not nine all at the same time as I did here (I think I got a bit too excited haha). Yeah, it does take a long time. For instance, to take Aug(de)mented Reality as an example, oftentimes for just one short 5-second segment you see the clouds in the sky shift massively, which indicates a good few hours spent, if not more. So once I pick a story and do a rough storyboard (which I'm doing this week!), and once I get down to working, I'll probably get an idea of how long it'll be. Which will probably be less than three minutes, from my point of view now... but who knows? We'll see how far I can take this!

      Delete
  2. Daria each week I get more and more excited to see your final animation! You are such a talented artist! Is your animation going to be a stop motion or more like a story book? Side note, did you draw the figures in your background?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Val! I was originally planning on combining drawing with stop motion; however, since starting this project, I've realized different ideas may be more suited to different types of animation. So once I pick what idea I'm going with this week and do the rough storyboard, I'll probably get a feel for what type of animation would be best, both practically and artistically. And yes, I did draw the figures in the background! Thank you for noticing haha. They're gesture drawings, which are quick sketches that are supposed to capture the moment of the gesture or pose that the subject in question is making. Mine are pretty sketchy/messy, but if you look at other artists' gestures, they can be much cleaner. It's just a matter of style, or what you're going for :)

      Delete
  3. Ahh BLU and Duet. I love those <3
    You're cats are super adorable man, and dude, you have NO IDEA as to how I excited I am that you're cleaning your desk. I will be in awe once I see the after picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blu is so great. As is Glen Keane :) And thank you! Haha are you planning on coming over and arting with me after it's done? Because that can definitely be arranged (and this invitation extends to anyone who wants to art with me just message me we'll work something out).

      Delete
  4. Hey Daria! Looks awesome.
    So for the animation, are you going to make a sort of video with animated figures, or are you going to have drawings to accompany a story? If the first, are you planning on drawing every little movement or do you have any software to help with that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Zach! Drawings to accompany a story would be more of an illustration project as opposed to animation, so it's definitely going to be a sort of video, yes. I'm going to need to use software to edit the video all together, but before I decide what medium I'm doing (e.g. drawing each motion, as you mentioned), I'm going to try to decide on a plot and then see which method of animation best suits it :)

      Delete
  5. Wow Daria, after seeing those videos, I'm quite excited to think about what you could make yourself! I assume you'll be uploading the final animation you make to Youtube right? And are you planning to have it voiced or be silent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? Seeing other work can be so inspiring! And yes, YouTube or Vimeo or both... And whether it's voiced or just instrumental depends on what concept I'll be doing! You'll find out soon.

      Delete