Saturday, March 21, 2015

Story Time

Hey everyone!

Today, I'd like to start off this post with this comment from Tia (a senior at BASIS Scottsdale who's doing an awesome project involving art therapy, check out her blog!) on my last update:

Love all these inspiring sketches! (I was stuck in the hospital for quite some time and had my sketchbook with me, so I know how fun it can be to use drawing as "productive procrastination") But I also know the feeling of just pure laziness and not wanting to sketch, even though I know I should. I think it might be because I'm afraid to create something that isn't absolutely perfect. Do you ever experience the same sort of feeling? Any tips for overcoming a lack of sketching motivation? Keep up the great work :) I'm excited to see how your animation is coming along!  

First off, Tia, thank you so much for the kind words!

Second off, yes; unfortunately, I have experienced that pure feeling of bleh, that lack of will to do anything at all even though you know you should. And knowing you should is part of the stress that makes you feel... well... bleh (that lack of will to do anything at all even though you know you should).

And my answer would be that it's definitely one of those things you have to consistently and consciously push yourself and work to get over.

And the thing is, it's not so much the drawing process itself; it's getting up and putting pencil to paper in the first place. Once you get into the groove, all of that dread goes away.

Because, as you said, there's almost always this fear that you've lost artistic talent until you actually make something! It's astounding how many times I look at a finished work and think, "How the heck did I do that??"

So. What I do when I'm doubting my abilities is I get out something like watercolor or a really thick marker (or, if those supplies are lacking and you're stuck somewhere, even a pen can work!).

Something permanent and big.

With pencil, it's always so easy to obsess and erase and redo. But if you're working with fluid paint or a marker, you have to let go of all that fear and just put whatever you can onto that paper (or whatever medium you're using), no going back.

And if you mess up, well, you have to be creative and make the piece into something else, no matter if it's not what you initially thought you were going to make.

And, for me at least, that can be very liberating.

Speaking of watercolors, here are a few products of productive procrastination this week!

Yayyy flowery hair!

She leans on the chair as if to say, "Ha! I'm awesome."
She is awesome.
Also, never be afraid of shadows, kids. Gotta put that orange in there.

Yayyy flowery... everything...!

"Ugh. I forgot my chocolate at home. Again."
Hey; it's okay.
We've all been there.
And in pencil, a one-second shenanigan-y thing of a stick figure failing a cartwheel:


I also wanted to quickly go through how I made the little smooches and flowers animation from my last post, per the request of the illustrious Mr. Bloom:


So this is how the window looks when I open it in Photoshop Cs5, the software I usually use for digital work:

Hmmm
Wait a sec, let me adjust that a bit.

There we go!
As you can see, on the righthand side, there are layers. So I keep making new layers, adding on flowers every time. And then I make layers for the moving mouth (I can choose which layers to display/not display on the screen at any time, so it makes it easy to draw over a previous layer when animating!). When it comes down to the animation itself, for each frame, I combine what layers I want for the desired effect; so for the first few frames it's just adding on flowers, and then for the last few it's the mouth with the final number of flowers as a backdrop.

I hope that clears things up.

And finally, let's talk about my project!

The first page of my storyboard! *gasp*
Huzzah!

Now, I don't want to reveal too much of my story before it's done. However, I'll give you that first page as a teaser.

It all started because the little girl wanted cotton candy.

"Whoa wait, Daria, you decided on a character?"

Yeah! The little girl was what I'd used in my initial sketches, and I became really comfortable drawing her in different positions and expressions. So I ended up sticking with her. And the fact that she's a little girl is going to make for some sharp (and amusing) contrasts with some of the voices I'm giving her.

The first voice being:


You heard (saw?) it here first, folks. A gruff manly man voice.

At one point, though, I did make a whole page of potential characters for the role (though some of them, as you see, were more silly than anything):

I'm pretty sure the dude in the suspenders was subconsciously inspired by Cameron from Ferris Bueller's Day Off, as I'd just rewatched the movie... it's a great movie, by the by. I highly recommend it. 
But I digress.
So storyboarding is basically like making a comic! Except instead of speech bubbles, you make little notes about the scene to accompany the poses and expressions. It's really fun.

And, as you can tell, I'm going for a pretty simple style. No funky angles or zoom-ins on faces or anything. The characters are always gonna be flat on the page, and the setting/scenery will usually be implied through context when need be (there isn't even a ground!). Which I think will add to its light-heartedness, in that it's a bit reminiscent of the type of illustration you'd find in a children's book.

Speaking of storyboarding, before I got into it, I did have writer's/drawer's block! At which point I pulled out some watercolors, and started storyboarding without much attention to the quality, which resulted in this:

Shabby. But not too shabby.
As you can see, I was working those different perspectives and settings initially, though it was a bit of a mess. But it was stress-free, and it got the ideas rolling. And that's what's important.

Anyhow, I hope you're all enjoying the onset of spring as much as I am.

Except for you allergy-prone folk. I am very sorry for the pain the pesky pollen will prompt. Stay strong. We're all rooting for you.

Question time!

1. Do you have a favorite color? If so, what is it?

2. What is an odd hobby of yours?

And, to give you a break from all this reading of my ramblings, a short!

What?

You didn't actually think I'd forget to give you a short, did you?

Here is an animated short from Ringling College of Art and Design that reminds me a lot of the concept for Inside Out, a movie from Disney and Pixar that's coming out this summer:


Alright, that's it for today.

I hope everyone's having a great weekend! 

14 comments:

  1. Love your sketches! Are there any tricks/stimuli you use to get into the groove? Do you notice an improvement in your quality based on any external factors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!
      And yeah! I mean obviously the first step is starting to actually draw. Like once that first line is down, you're set. But music can definitely be a motivator and get me pumped (which reminds me of Aarthi's music therapy senior project, which anyone reading this can check out at http://aarthiganapathi.blogspot.com/ - it's super cool). Also I dunno if this is just me but I actually really like having a buzz of activity around me? It's energizing, like when you go to the gym and there's all this stuff going on around you and it gets you going. So I like sitting in cafés and things, where there's a bit of chatter. But really, I'd say when it comes down to environmental factors, everyone will have their own preferences; like I'm sure a bunch of people would prefer complete silence to focus. And it's not so much a change in quality as an effect on how much time it takes me to finish :)

      Delete
  2. I get lazy so much. I loved this post. I think the advice was great.
    Favorite color: royal blue (all royals actually)
    odd hobby: I like collecting receipts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayyy I'm so glad you found this helpful! It's just stuff I've realized over my time drawing and creating things :)
      And ooo, very nice. Someday you could make a collage of those receipts or something!

      Delete
  3. WOW! Your watercolor portraits, stick figure cartwheel animation, flower animation, sketches, and story board are all amazing! You are truly talented and gifted! I can't wait to see the final animation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much Rachael! The failed cartwheel was really me doodling one day while waiting for someone at a café haha. Hopefully the final animation will come out alright ^-^

      Delete
  4. It actually reminds me a little saying regarding animation: Even if it's only going to be a few seconds long, you can tell a story in that time. Guess that you'll be applying that same intent to your own creation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, exactly! There's so much that can be done with visual communication :)

      Delete
  5. Ah! Daria! I'm so sorry I didn't see this post earlier! Thank you so much for that thoughtful answer to my question. I feel so motivated and ready to create! I am so thrilled that you have made some excellent progress on your project and I love the character choice. (Although I am partial to anything inspired by Ferris Buellers Day Off and I loved the suspenders). So are you going to record voices of other people in your short or record your own voice? You might have already answered that, but I figure it's an important factor for your subject.
    And for your answers: My favorite color is...oh wow...uhm...I think blue but it changes so often. And an odd hobby of mine is book pressing flowers...you know...like squishing them until they dry out and become these beautiful little delicate things? No? Okay...haha I'm excited to read more about the project, Daria! Keep up the brilliant work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it was an adequate answer! And I'm very partial to suspenders, too haha. I definitely want to use some of my voice, but who knows; for the ones with a really stark contrast it might be better to get volunteers to help me out (e.g. I have no clue if I could pull off a gruff manly man voice).
      That's so cool though! I've always loved the concept of book pressing flowers. I just don't think I'd know what to do with them afterwards/I'd be afraid of them tearing. I have much respect for those who can pull off such a delicate art, though :)

      Delete
  6. Daria!!! I love your project so much you're so creative and talented! I'm very happy you settled on a character, I think the little girl was an excellent choice. I can't wait to see what happens! Also my favorite color is light blue and I love ordering tangible wow-you-can-hold-a-memory-in-your-hands printed out pictures from Walgreens? I don't know if that counts as a hobby but I hate how all of my pictures are only on my phone I want to pin them up in my room and look at them all the time. I really want to get some good pictures with my BASIS friends before the end of the school year, I don't have many and I hate that. Can I take a picture with you at some point? :) Keep on creating! I love everything you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you Megan! That definitely counts as a hobby and I think it's an absolutely lovely thing to do. And I would be absolutely honored to take a picture with you sometime! I'm so glad you enjoy my blog ^-^

      Delete
  7. Favorite Color: White
    Old Hobby: Coin collecting
    No, I did not doubt you would simply leave us without a short :)
    As usual, your watercolor faces were fantastic!
    Sorry I don't really have a question to ask; I am very much enjoying your SRP though. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely not a favorite color I hear often, dang. I like it.
      Nice! When I was little I entertained the idea of collecting all the quarters with the states on them, but I never got round to actually doing it.
      No worries, no question is necessary; thank you for the kind words, I will!

      Delete