Saturday, April 4, 2015

I'm Back

Hey gang!

Yep. You're part of the gang. The people-who-read-Daria's-silly-blog-posts gang.

So last week I fell sick, unfortunately, and didn't get as much work done as I wanted to. Though I did get a bit of work done, I decided to count it as my spring break, and I shall go over the things I did last week and this week right now!

First off, some productive procrastination based on your answers to my questions last post about favorite colors and odd hobbies:

~Sophia~
Fave color: Royal colors (...I tried red, it came out kinda orange...)
Odd hobby: Collecting receipts
~Tia~
Fave color: Blue
Odd hobby: Book pressing flowers
~Megan~
Fave color: Light blue
Odd hobby: Ordering physical copies of photographs
~Pranav~
Fave color: White
Odd hobby: Collecting coins
And then some other pieces I did:

I bought new watercolors this week
and took the liberty of painting
my hand...
And I painted these colorful peeps!
Alrighty, onto my project.

The first week, when I got sick, my mentors were kind enough to lend me their light table.

Ze la-eet tay-buhl
Here's a video of me tracing over a frame to make a new frame:


And here's how my bed looked after a while:

Beautiful, right?
However, I then met with my mentors Sunday of that week, and we decided that doing a hand-drawn animation was definitely going to take too long. If I wanted to finish the whole animation, paper animation might be a better choice.

Which is why I have to inform you all that I am switching over to a paper animation stop motion.

So that night I doodled a bit for concepts of how my characters would look:

Needless to say, I did not go with the circular one.
And then I started cutting out things:

It's a pile of limbs and torso and such.
Pretty morbid stuff.
But... how the heck was I gonna keep these pieces together, let alone have them move?

Michaels would have the answer!

Mmmm pretty paint...
No! Can't get distracted. Gotta keep going.

And then... I found them.

In English they're called Brads.
In French they're called Parisian attachments.
In Spanish they're called German attachments.
Where are they from? 
Mini brads. 

So many mini brads.
I proceeded to assemble the puppet and to experiment a bit with movement: 




I might've also messed around a teeny bit with the brads:


Anyhow, after that was all settled I started making more puppets and painting them with watercolors! 

I was originally going to go black and white with my drawn
animation but with paper I decided I'd add a lil color.
I'm going to be starting the film as soon as possible. I just need to figure out what I'm going to do for the facial expressions (switch out faces, maybe?) and then I'm set!

I'd also like to mention as a side note that animation has made me less fearful of critters. I was at Starbucks the other day, someone opened the door to the front of the store, whoosh, plop, there was a bug on my table. 

Instead of being horrified, I whipped out my phone and... filmed it... for future reference... for animation purposes... 


ANYHOW. 

I'm not weird. 

Questions. 

Yes I am.
  1. If you were writing a post-apocalyptic novel, who would your protagonist be? Give a description, including physical traits as well as their overall demeanor/attitude towards life (are they confident, shy, nervous, paranoid, etc.). Feel free to defy stereotypes of what a post-apocalyptic novel protagonist should be if you so please!
  2. Where is somewhere that you've never been that you really wish you could visit? 
Finally, here's an adorable lil animation from students at Ringling College of Art and Design:


And here's a bit of a longer one from students at the School of Visual Arts: 


That's it for today! 

Thank you for bearing with me and I hope you're having a shwankin' time. 

17 comments:

  1. Ah Daria! I love love love the paper animation direction. Dru and Peter are the best! I would have never thought of something so simple that could be so cute. I would love to hear updates of how you like working with such an interesting method (even your challenges or frustrations if they exist).
    As for your questions. For a protagonist...I'd probably have a very dorky and shy hipster guy with messy hair and weird fashion sense. But obviously thought the apocalypse he'd become more confident and his mismatching patterns on his clothes would improve. And one place I've always wanted to visit...probably Venice, Italy. Well, just anywhere in Italy haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paper animation, along with calymation, is actually something that is done as a preliminary to other types of animation in art schools! I'll post an example next time. In terms of frustrations... I can definitely tell you that using a needle to punch tiny holes is wayyy more effective than using an unbent paperclip, as I learned the hard way (before I thought to procure a needle my thumb was sore for three days straight). And nice! One doesn't often come across shy hipster post-apocalyptic protagonists, they're usually more side-charactery; that's awesome :)

      Delete
  2. Love your work with the puppets - what a great idea! Can't wait to see them with faces acting out a story. The bug is actually cool too. Check out this robot bug - they probably spent a ton of time observing just like you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo2TUIEXJig

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait either :) Whoa, that's actually really cool... and the fact that the robot spider is doing the salsa rumba makes the whole thing so much better!

      Delete
  3. Your little paper characters are so cute!!!

    1. A short, handsome genius and expert on [insert cause of the apocalypse] whose talents are even more sought after following the apocalypse. This man's intelligence and fame are matched only by his selfishness and cowardice, but he finds his opportunistic and self-centered approach to life difficult to hold onto as the apocalypse drives the human population into increasingly dark moral territory. He's a man with a wry sense of humor and a tendency to make a fool out of himself, but over the course of the journey becomes a bit less obsessed with himself and worryingly obsessed with the meaning of life.

    2. I'm gonna have to second Tia's answer... Italy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! To be honest, I think I was thinking zombies when I wrote the question haha. I like that he doesn't find the meaning of life, he just becomes worryingly obsessed with it. And I'm totally with you and Tia on the wanting to go to Italy thing! The logical conclusion is we should all take a trip there sometime.

      Delete
  4. Hey Daria.
    1. A tall blonde man with blue eyes. He's a confident man that was a playboy millionaire philanthropist before the apocalypse. He's smart and witty beyond belief. When everyone was dying he remained unfazed and cool as always. He stood in the center of the collapse, protected by his bare hands only. And that's all he needed, because he's that awesome. Although he is alone with everyone else being dead, he loves himself so much that it's no problem to him. He just wakes up every morning and smiles because he is who he is.
    2. The Bahamas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well dang. This guy sounds like he might have some underlying issues that drive him to act so nonchalantly and happy in the face of death and destruction. Or is he really that positive-thinking and lax? I've been to a few islands in the Bahamas! I'm sure you'd like it there :)

      Delete
  5. omg
    you made art for us
    <3 it's awesome
    The one you made for me is my new phone wallpaper :D

    Question 1) A brash, brutish, badapple named Bob who thinks he's the best. He'll have to come terms with the fact that he is not in order to survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww I'm so glad you liked it! ^-^
      Lovely alliteration, man.
      Any place you'd like to visit that you've never been to? :)

      Delete
  6. It may look all jumbled up, but as a fellow creative artist, I understand how it all ties together into something awesome eventually. And that usually happens in the weirdest or most oddest of times. You'll be doing something entirely different and then the ideas just click together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Even in the animation industry... people end up doing things they never thought they'd be doing when they get jobs and things. It's exciting and scary all at the same time :) (mostly exciting, though)

      Delete
  7. Hi Daria....could you please respond to my email....we need to schedule a practice presentation for the SRP committee prior to your presentation. We will have to determine a time...most are taken. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done and done. Again, I'm so sorry for the delay.

      Delete
  8. Hi my name is Cayley and I go to Lutheran High School in Parker, just wanted to tell you some things I really thought were interesting on your blog. I love how you include so many visual aspects to your blog. It makes it much more easy and enjoyable for the reader! The paper characters you made were adorable. You blog is very interesting and I love the format you used! Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cayley, thanks for dropping by! And yes, I do find that pictures and videos and such break things up a bit and keep things interesting :) Thank you so much! I hope you're having a wonderful day.

      Delete