Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Updates

Hey everyone!

I just thought I'd let you know what I've been up to, as I met with my mentors on Sunday.

1. I'm still clearing my desk. I think I'm making good progress. You'll see soon enough.

2. The idea that I chose was... *drum roll please*

3. THE VOICE IDEA! (refresher as to what that was: someone loses their voice, and in this world, voices are floating orbs, so they try to find their voice but they keep ingesting the wrong orbs)

4. I realized that I got into drawing for it the most, and that I really enjoy voices and the concept itself. The whole thing is going to be trying to play off of dichotomies in a comedic manner, so I'm excited.

5. I also need to decide whether I'm going to draw it or do paper animation. Drawn might be harder. But I really like drawing. We'll see. What do you guys think?

6. I'm also going to be fleshing out the main character for the story! I know I used a little girl in my concepts/example, but I think I'm gonna explore a few other options, present them to you, and then y'all can tell me what you think. If you so desire. I would be very grateful if you did.

7. While clearing my desk, I found this lil book I got at the Getty museum during fall break:

"Stealing?! Daria, I thought you were better than this!"
Well, it's a really good book. In my humble opinion. To quote a passage:

Conan O'Brien has talked about how comedians try to emulate their heroes, fall short, and end up doing their own thing. Johnny Carson tried to be Jack Benny but ended up Johnny Carson. David Letterman tried to copy Johnny Carson but ended up David Letterman. And Conan O'Brien tried to be David Letterman but ended up Conan O'Brien. In O'Brien's words, "It is our failure to become our perceived ideal that ultimately defines us and makes us unique." Thank goodness. 

And another:

The best advice is not to write what you know, it's to write what you like. Write the kind of story you like best—write the story you want to read. The same principle applies to your life and your career: Whenever you're at a loss for what move to make next, just ask yourself, "What would make a better story?"

I mean... don't go off with some random stranger you meet on the street to have adventures just because it might make a better story. Not that I doubt your judgments when it comes to running off with people on the street. But. Let's write happy life stories, people.

And if you want any more, you'll have to go get the book yourself! I dunno, maybe I just have a thing for books that give advice and quote famous people's words of wisdom and talk about art and use cool diagrams. Maybe.

8. In fleshing out the main character, I'm also gonna start writing/boarding the story. I say that I'm going to do all three at the same time because I really don't know how it's gonna come to me, yah know? Like maybe while fleshing out the character I'll come up with some dialogue that they'd totally say and write that down, or come up with a scene that totally exemplifies their personality and draw that. Inspiration strikes haphazardly most of the time. Life is odd and beautiful that way.

9. I've realized that some of the things that were on the desk... are now on the floor. So. After I finish clearing the desk, I shall clear the floor. #goodplan

And now for a short; The Reward, by The Animation Workshop, a part of the VIA University College in Denmark (warning—there's a fight scene around 3:55-4:30 where there's a bit of gore, and a person gets stabbed and another person's two fingers are cut off, but it's pretty cartoonish and not too bad but just thought I'd let you know):


Oh, I almost forgot to mention, I got responses back for my interview questions from Carol Wyatt, background painter for a lot of Nick shows and more, and Nick Jennings, who won an Emmy for being art director on Adventure Time! Many thanks to them for their time and effort in answering.

Side note, Peter Hannan and Dru Hardy are the best mentors ever. Just putting it out there. No joke. I am forever grateful for their help in this endeavor.

And that's pretty much it I think. I hope you guys are all doing well.

You know... I feel like I should ask a question at the end of each of these. I think I'll start doing that.

So, the question: What's your favorite quotation having to do with art and what did you have for breakfast today? (oho, two questions)

I look forward to reading your responses!  

16 comments:

  1. "The world is but a canvas to our imagination" - Thoreau
    I had samosas (So brown of me)
    SEEELOok at all the amazing things you can find on your desk! you have no idea how excited I am for the after picture.

    Paper animation would be so cool! But what if WHAT IF WHat IF you drew ON your paper animations??
    Youre welcome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice quotation. 'Tis true. And you know, I don't think I've ever had a samosa...
      Hahaha you're very invested in my desk/table's cleanliness, I'm honored :)
      Paper animation would probably be a combination of drawing on the paper and moving it, yes! And it'd be easier to animate. But drawn would maybe give me more flexibility in motion.

      Delete
  2. Let's see....my favorite quote would have to be: "Good artists copy, great artists steal." Just a little quote to motivate people to do what they imagined to do before somebody else does it. And for breakfast, I had milk.

    Cleaning up one's desk is quite a task, but sometimes I find hidden gems inside there as well. Sometimes, they're old and discarded story ideas that, when refined, can easily be put out as a better than ever before. But then, there's also junk. Are there any old drawings in your drawer now that makes you cringe when looking at them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A quotation very pertinent to the book! And milk, very nice.
      Alfred, same! Except I don't think anything has really made me cringe... I get amused at how much I've improved, more than anything. And sometimes, as you mentioned, I'll go back and draw over the old drawings and make them better or expand upon them.

      Delete
  3. Daria! Steal Like an Artist is one of my all time faves! I keep it on my nightstand for the days when I need a boost of inspiration. How did you like the answers you received from Wyatt and Jennings? Did they inspire you in any particular way? Or just teach you something new? Can't wait to hear more! (oh and one of my fave art quotes....I have several....is by Warhol: "Art is what you can get away with." and I had a lovely yogurt and granola for breakfast today!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! It really is very motivating. I'll read a chapter and be like, "Dang, I want to make things and incorporate everything he talked about here" haha. Not to mention that the cover's texture is super cool (at least, I think so).
      I think I'll try to compile and condense some of the common tips I got from each of the people I interviewed in a future post; one thing that really stuck, though, was to have passion for what you're doing, ride the roller coaster, and never give up. Because, ultimately, though it's hard to break out of the thought that a "good job" means "money," sometimes a good job will give you the opportunity to work with great people and make connections and take your career to the next level, even if it might not pay as much as the high-paying big-company job. Art is really about doing what you love and whatever it takes to get better at it. I also learned about each of their different jobs in the animation industry and what they entail, so that was cool.
      Mmm, sounds yummy :) And that's a wonderful quote! I've always thought art is really largely messing up a lot and covering it up until you have something decent in front of you.

      Delete
  4. First time I have seen someone reading these series of books!!! For our class we read Show Your Work, which was written by the same writer. My name is Cayley and I go to Lutheran High School in Colorado. I really want to read this book as well because it may be more up my alley. Did you find this book is effective in its message?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cayley, thank you so much for dropping by! It's effective in its ten messages, actually haha. Yes, I think it's really cool how the author combines diagrams and drawings and his very likable writing style. Though, as he very aptly states at the end, not everything has to be taken as advice. I don't agree with all the advice he gives, and that's totally okay; everyone is always going to have their own way of doing things. Would you recommend Show Your Work?

      Delete
  5. I don't have a favorite quote but here's an Anais Nin one I like: "We do not escape into philosophy, psychology, and art—we go there to restore our shattered selves into whole ones."
    I had a sandwich and eggs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should've said "one of your favorites" or "a quote that you like," favorites are always difficult. But that is indeed a lovely quote :) And if I had not just had some food, I would say now I feel like having a sandwich and eggs haha.

      Delete
  6. Well, I'm glad you asked. I consumed 2 and a half bowls of cheerios, an apple, and a Nature Valley granola bar. (of which I only ate 40% of, the rest inevitably falling to the ground as crumbs because Nature Valley)

    I'd say my favorite quote is "A line is a dot that went for a walk." -Paul Klee
    Yeah I know it literally has no relevance to anything but I find it funny XD

    But yeah this is a really cool blog, it sucks I didn't start checking it out earlier! You should definitely draw the voice orb stuff because I have these really awesome illustrations in my head that paper animation just wouldn't do justice haha

    Looking forward to seeing where this project brings you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bon appétit, man; sounds like a hearty breakfast :)
      I actually really like that quotation, thank you for sharing!
      Paper animation can be pretty darn cool, actually. Who knows, though; I might end up combining the two.

      Delete
  7. So excited! But just for clarification, what does "fleshing" mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! To flesh out, according to the Oxford American Dictionary, is to "add more details to something that exists only in a draft or outline form." So basically when I say fleshing out the main character, I mean figuring them out in more detail :)

      Delete
  8. Daria!!!!! :)

    "The best advice is not to write what you know, it's to write what you like. Write the kind of story you like best—write the story you want to read. The same principle applies to your life and your career: Whenever you're at a loss for what move to make next, just ask yourself, "What would make a better story?"

    OKAY SO you just helped me decide what major to pursue (which I have been debating about for weeks and need to change soon) so THANK YOU.

    Also I love your work and I think you should post more of your "productive procrastinations" as mentioned in your next post because I think they're great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg yayyy I'm so glad that little passage helped! It was so weird when I first read it in the book cause I thought, "Wow this makes a lot of sense... but no one ever thinks of anything this way!"
      I'm very curious as to what major you want to pursue now. I shall ask you about it the day we take a picture together! :)
      Aww thank you so much! I definitely will keep posting my random art pieces and I'm so glad you like them.

      Delete