Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Getting Down to Business

Hey guys!

I'm so sorry I'm late with this blogpost. But a lot has happened.

Let's start off with these characters I drew based on Zach, Navya, and Tia's answers to question number one on my last post:

Survivors of the apocalypse. Hardcore.
I haven't finished Pranav's answer yet (I will soon!) and you'll see where the answers to question two come into play in a future post.

With that said, on Saturday, I visited the Otis College of Art and Design. While on the plane ride back, I had some play-doh with me, and my father and I started making little animations with it.

First off, I remembered that my mentors had told me that one of the assignments given at RISD for first-years in animation is to have a ball roll on screen, turn into something, and then roll off:


My father saw what I was doing and became eager to try, at which point I took hold of the camera:


Then it was my turn again:


And then I felt bad because mine had been 78 frames or so, so I told him to do another one:


We had a fun time.

In other news, last week I finally got the thing I ordered to attach my phone (which I'll be using for the stopmotion, using the app iMotion) to a tripod!

The tripod. And underneath, to its right, the
limbs of paper puppets past...
I also had to remake my puppets last week. I tried working with the old ones, I really did.

I soon discovered that this work was going to
require that my hair not be in my face
However, I noticed that since I'd painted the paper with watercolor, the limbs were all bent out of shape after drying. SO I decided I'd have to make new, non-colored puppets.

RIP, old puppets.
And I did make new puppets!

Puppets 2.0 - Now with longer legs
So now I'm happy to say that everything is set and I can finally start in earnest. I'll give you a sneak peak into what I've done this Saturday!

Question: What's your favorite magical/mythical creature?

And then, of course, can't forget the shorts.

The Cat Piano (warning: it has some dark/violent themes), a very poetic piece regarding, surprise surprise, music and cats:


And then another animated piece with a very different style (but with some dark/violent themes as well, though in a different and more cartoon-y way): 


Lastly, I'd just like to mention this cool article/video that I read/saw regarding Pixar's really cool software for animating, Presto! It's super impressive.

And that's it for today! I hope you're all having a marvelous week. 

11 comments:

  1. Answer: Dragon. Call me cliche.

    Those were some really awesome stop-motion videos! For whatever reason, I thought of that blue guy from Monsters v. Aliens when watching it. Except this guy is yellow.

    Also, I'm gonna be honest, before I read any of your post, I saw the picture of the puppets with your hair over them, and thought it was a painting of puppets and hair everywhere and there was some symbolism I was missing XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yoo saaame dragons are the bomb diggity, not gonna lie. I don't know why anyone would lie regarding such matters, really. B.O.B (Benzoate Ostylezene Bicarbonate) from Monsters vs Aliens is hilarious! I should rewatch that movie sometime.
      Oh, yeah. Most definitely. The puppets represent what is supposed to be structured existence; the hair represents the messiness that is life. Beyond a doubt

      Delete
  2. My name's Daniel from Lutheran High School in Parker, Colorado, and I just wanted to say that this blog is very well put together. I watched your little animation videos over and over because I was just fascinated. I like the background you used as well, it fits the whole theme. Really good work on your project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Daniel! Aww thank you so much! I drew the figures in the background, actually :) And dude, you can totally make stop motion videos as well, it's super easy! If you have a smartphone available at all, you can take pictures (either through an app specifically for stop motion or simply using a camera and a video editor) and quickly make little animations using inanimate objects and such (clay/play-doh is especially fun to mold and work with; or you can even draw stuff on a whiteboard). If you have an iPhone, I highly recommend the iMotion app (what I've been using), and a quick google search tells me that PicPac is a stop motion/time lapse animation app for Android (though I unfortunately can't speak to its quality... though it has 4.3 stars from reviews, so do with that information what you will).

      Delete
  3. I can already tell my character is the coolest.
    My favorite mythical creature would be the three headed dog thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you did give a very conventionally "cool" description of your character haha.
      And Cerberus! He's also pretty cool. Imagine your character having Cerberus as a pet. I think that would fit.

      Delete
  4. I've been following you since March and I love the progress you have done over the few weeks. I personally love your videos and they're a great way of showing your project as it develops.

    Thank you for reading my comment,
    Sterling
    Lutheran High School

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heyy Sterling thanks so much for following along! I'm so glad you enjoy the blog. And since my whole project is focused on making a short animated piece of sorts, I think I'd be a bit of a failure if I didn't give y'all at least some videos to watch haha.
      And thank you for commenting! Just curious; any idea what you want to go into for college?
      I hope you're having a marvelous day!

      Delete
  5. Oh, so are you experimenting as well with stop-motion animation? From what I've seen in the movies, it's a very tedious process to film all the possible frames. Or am I just wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, all I'm doing is stop motion these days! It is definitely tedious. Like so far in the animated piece I'm working on I have 300 frames, and 50 seconds worth of video. But it's so much fun and you really don't think about it whilst doing it so it's all good :)

      Delete
  6. I LOVE HOW SAD MY CHARACTER LOOKS. Also, Zach's looks suspiciously like someone I know. Can't quite place it... ;)

    ReplyDelete